The Dilemma of a 5th Grader



The Dilemma of a 5th Grader
I stood in a corner alone and shy
As the class laughed at me, I not knew why?
I stood there with my head hung down in shame
I had never wished once for such kind of fame

I was made to stand there, all day long
I still didn’t knew what I had done wrong
I wasn’t aware I had worn wrong pair of socks
For this my teacher had even snatched my lunch box

As the recess bell rang all zoomed out
Stranded, empty benches surrounded me all about
I wanted to scream but it wasn’t allowed in school
With such a slight mismatch I looked like a fool

Mom was ill so I had to dress myself up
Hadn’t even bothered missing my milk cup
My dad mostly invisible, whom I hardly saw
He had to earn for us was the reason for his flaw

Most of times he seemed to me like Sunday’s guest
With my drawings I tried to impress him my best
But preoccupied he was lost in magazines and books
The more I sought his attention, furious were his looks

In our colony, I had no friends to play
Why my grandpa left, mom would never say
Company of my grandpa was the thing I liked the most
Holding my hand, he would take me for a walk along the coast


My grandpa was now in a village far away
Such a village never existed I found to my dismay
My mother tried to explain but I couldn’t understand
He seemed to be in a place called heaven, god’s own land

When the teacher used to hand my mother my scorecard
With my scores I knew, to please her it was very hard
The majority of my time was dedicated to prepare for tests
All, my parents wished for was medals on my chest

I disliked studies; all I wanted to do was to draw
Books seemed to be like beasts with hundreds of claws
My parents never understood what I wanted to do
I set out again to my school with my unbuckled shoe

~ Surya
In resentment

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A mist covered destiny

The Gambler's Night

Devouring of the Moon