Harry Potter's Indian Avatar

Harry Potter’s Indian Avatar

To all the Harry Potter fans, did you ever imagine what would be if the magical world created by J.K.Rowling was based in India? What would characters look like? What would their names be?
Well, the answer to the second question is here. I too, like many other Harry Potter fans loved to dwell in the fantasy world of magic and wizardry whenever I wanted to take a break from reality or during the hours of inactivity. I ventured to the extent my mortal imagination could permit and I was left wondering what would happen if I baptized the Harry Potter characters and made them Indians. This prospect sparked a genuine curiosity in me and what you are going to read next is a result of that. To know more about the idea and how it came into existence I have written a separate addendum at the end (so that I won’t distract you from the main task for which you might have landed on this page).
Baptizing the Harry Potter characters into Indian counterparts has been a real fun. The characters are grouped into certain meaningful sections of commonality. So, go ahead read them and tell me how you feel.

The principal characters

Originals
Indian Version
Harry Potter
Harishchandra Pattar
Hermione Granger
Hansika Gowdar
Ron Weasley
Rakesh Vaidhya
Severus Snape
Siddharth Shastri
Albus Dumbledore
Annappa Dheergesh
Lord Voldemort
Vichitra Veera
Tom Morvolo Riddle
Mrutunjaya Raghuvanshi
James Potter
Jayanth Pattar
Lily Potter
Lata Pattar
Neville Longbottom
Navneet Lokhandwale

The founders of Hogwarts – The School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Originals
Indian Version
Salazar Slytherin
Sajid Suleimann
Godric Gryfinndor
Gaureesh Ganiger
Roowena Ravenclaw
Roopa Rampure
Helga Hufflepuff
Haripriya Hosamani

The Death Eaters

Originals
Indian Version
Alecto Carrow
Ankita Kotwal
Amycus Carrow
Amith Kotwal
Vincent Crabbe, Sr
Vajramuni Kasnis
Vincent Crabbe, Jr
Viraj Kasnis
Antonin Dolohov
Ayaaz Dawood
Goyle Sr
Ghazi
Bellatrix Lestrange
Bhavana Lakhani
Rudolphus Lestrange
Rauflala Lakhani
Rabastan Lestrange
Rudrappa Lakhani
Peter Pettigrew
Prathamesh Parvatikar
Bartemius "Barty" Coruch
Baidyanath "Bunty" Chautala

The staff at Hogwarts

Originals
Indian Version
Quirinus Quirell
Quarram Quereshi
Septima Vector
Snehaleka Vartur
Minerva McGonagall
Manavi Managuli**
Rubeus Hagrid*
Ravi Hosur
Horace Slughorn
Hariprakash Sheshadri
Severus Snape
Siddharth Shastri
Pomona Sprout
Pavithra Sampagi
Sybill Patricia Trelawney
Saraswati Thackery
Dolores Jane Umbridge
Divyashree Umapathi
Bathsheda Babbling
Boothnath Babaseer
Filius Flitwick
Farooq Faqtakik
Glideroy Lockhart
Ganesh Laddimath
Remus Lupin
Ranvijay Lohar

The students of Hogwarts

Originals
Indian Version
Dean Thomas
Deepak Thakur
Seamus Finnigan
Shashank Tripathi
Luna Lovegood
Leelakumari Lamani
Pansy Parkinson
Pramila Padmashetty
Anjelina Johnson
Anjum Begum
Oliver Wood
Ajay Kumar Bandre
Zacharias Smith
Zubeen Sohail
Cedric Diggory
Sanjeev Deshpande
Katie Bells
Kartika Bailoor
Padma Patil
Pamela Pattison
Parvati Patil
Patricia Pattison
Draco Malfoy
Dharish Malnad
Hannah Abbot
Heena Afridi
Susan Bones
Sushmita Bhure
Terry Boot
Teja Biradar
Lavendar Brown
Lavanya Bhoomreddy
Cho Chang
Chaya Chowdhri
Lee Jordan
Lingraj Jorapur
Gregory Goyle
Gulamnabi Ghazi

The Weasley Family

Originals
Indian Version
Arthur Weasley
Ashwath Vaidhya
Molly Weasley
Mamta Vaidhya
Percy Weasley
Prakash Vaidhya
Charlie Weasley
Chandrakanth Vaidhya
Bill Weasley
Bhimrao Vaidhya
Ginny Weasley
Gayatri Vaidhya
Fred Weasley
Prahlad Vaidhya
George Weasley
Ganshyam Vaidhya
Ron Weasley
Rakesh Vaidhya

The others

Originals
Indian Version
Frank Longbottom
Praful Lokhandwale
Alice Longbottom
Alisha Lokhandwale
Lucius Malfoy
Lankesh Malnad
Narcissa Malfoy
Nandita Malnad
Dudley Dursley
Dundesh Desai
Petunia Dursley
Parvati Desai
Vernon Dursley
Venkatrao Desai
Mundugus Feltecher
Mukund Pingle
Nymphondra Tonks
Nagana Talwar
Patty Crouch
Pramod Kumar
Oswald Cornelius Fudge
Omar Kasif Faisal Khan
Kingselfy Shacklebolt
Kailash Sherwani
Sturgis Podmore
Santosh Padmanabhan
Rita Skeeter
Ritu Shinde
Moaning Myrtle
Maya
Fenrir Greyback
Faiz Girgaonkar
Gellert Grindelwald
Gaurav Gurikar
Andromeda
Anantaramali
Viktor Krum
Virat Kohli
Olympe Maxime
Ohana Mahapatra
Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody
Akalkot “Mahadev” Modi
Garrick Ollivander
Gagan Ojha
Antioch Peverell
Anjan Pujari
Cadmus Peverell
Kalidas Pujari
Ignotus Peverell
Ishwar Pujari
Poppy Pomfrey
Pushapakal Purohit
Helena Ravenclaw
Hemlata Rampure
Rufus Scrimgeour
Ramesh Sardeshpande
Ludo Bagman
Latif Bhagwan
Bathilda Bagshot
Bhagayshree Biradar
Cuthbert Binns
Kamlesh Biji
Amelia Bones
Amitha Bhure
Fleur Delacour
Farha Dajini
Gabrielle Delacour
Gulab Dajini
Stan Shunpike
Samir Saraaf
Argus Filch
Asif Firangi
Nicolas Flamel
Naagarjun Fattepur
Gregorovitch
Gajendranath
Phineus Nigellus Black
Parsuram Nibalak Bilgi
Regulus Arcturus Black
Raghunandan Ahchuth Bilgi
Sirius Black
Shrinivas Bilgi
Igar Karkaroff
Ismail Khurrana
Amos Diggory
Anant Deshpande
Aberforth Dumbledore
Ashwatham Dheergesh
Ariana Dumbledore
Aanamika Dheergesh


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* -I had named Hagrid as Hanumanth which suited the personality but had to alter to suit the full name.
**- This name was suggested by my cousin Shivani. A cousin in need is a cousin indeed.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How it all began?

It was during initial years of my engineering days when my family had finally got its first cellphone. A simple Nokia 3110, a gift from my aunt which included a SIM card too. This device enabled me to connect with a long lost friend Thiagrajan (In the real life he goes with a different name). The new found friendship sparked many intellectual debates and discussions. During one such conversations he introduced me to the fantasy world of J.K.Rowling where Harry was the chosen one. By this time he had read almost all the books that were published and he couriered me the books that he personally owned. “The prisoner of Azkaban” was the first title that he sent me along with CDs that contained the movies of first three books. This was the starting point.During the course of time we exchanged the subsequent books in the series, - “The Order of Phoenix” and the “The Half-Blood Prince”. Half-Blood Prince remains one of our favorite books of the series till date. This book seriously got me involved and it was during this time when this random wave of thought hit me. What if I wanted them all to be Indians? The story line could remain same but the details that made it would have serious impact and reconsideration because of cultural and historical differences. But the thought of at least baptizing them to Indian names made me charged. I set out on this task, I converted all the important characters in the books to Indian names and wrote a letter to Thiaga. The idea was well reciprocated by him he took this to another level by converting some 20 left out characters and wrote a letter back. It was a very small list then, it contained 30 odd conversions only. He also sent out a statutory warning and I quote the exact words – “I suggest you not to go after writing the novel in Kannada, ‘coz it involves lot of risk as the characters and the titles are copyrighted” I paid heed to his advice and left the whole thing here itself. Though I never intended to write the novel in Kannada, it would only mean translating it which I never wanted to do myself but the thought of publishing the converted names remained in a safety locker in my head where I dump all the ideas for future purposes. But I always wanted to show it to a wider audience. Till this point only Thiaga and I and a few close friends knew it.So, comes the Diwali of 2015 I visit my home and I am asked to clean my old books and decide what should be kept and what can be given out. Without any zeal I set out to this task. I open a cardboard box and scan the contents inside and to my amazement I find the letter from Thiaga titled “Mortality of Vitality” in which was his reply to the name conversion idea. I then decide this time around I am going to complete this endeavor. I go to Wikipedia and get all the characters of the series and set out to baptize them and refine and modify the earlier ones. Though I have left out certain unimportant characters but I feel the list that you have gone through above is pretty comprehensive enough.I enjoyed the process of doing this. It was creatively satisfying. Many names have a flavor of north Karnataka region because I have spent most of my life here but I have tried to keep regionalism aside and include a wide array of naming flavors.During the process of fine tuning the conversions my cousin who was aware of this activity asked me to do something same for the fantastical world created by George R R Martin in his epic series – “The song of Ice and Fire” – Popularly known by its TV counterpart as Game of Thrones. I knew it, that I would have to eventually do it when I completed the second book in this series as I feel in love with the saga. So, here is a sneak peak of what is in store for the next. The whole list would definitely take time and efforts to come out in a presentable format, but as of now the below conversions should be enough to keep you curious and amazed.

 Game of Thrones - A Sneak Peek

House Names
House Words
The Indian Way
House Targaryen
Fire and Blood
अग्निपथ अग्निपथ अग्निपथ
House Stark
Winter is coming
अंत निश्चित है
House Lannister
Hear me roar
मेरे गर्जना गूंजती है
House Martell
Unbowed Unbent Unbroken
अजीत है अभित है
House Tyrell
Growing Strong
बढ़ते कदम
House Greyjoy
We do not sow
जैसा बोओगे वैसा काटोगे
House Baratheon
Ours is Fury
होश में जोश
House Tully
Family Duty Honor
रोटी कपड़ा और मकान
House Arryn
As High as Honor
उंझे लोग उंझी पसंद
House Bolton
Our Blades are Sharp
तेज धार


Will be back soon! I promise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A mist covered destiny

I'm a Coder!

Devouring of the Moon